Saturday, February 12, 2011

Held

I was listening to the song, "Held" by Natalie Grant on my way to study this morning. It inspired me to write a blog.
So lately I've been really trying to figure out where I'll want to work after I graduate. Obviously I'll work wherever I can get a job as a new grad, but I'd still like to find something I enjoy doing. I've been doing my precepting on the Pulmonary Care pod of the CIU. It started out rough, as it's very intense stuff. But it each experience gets better as I get more and more comfortable.
I'm trying to use the passions God has given me. (Those being my caring and compassionate heart.) I feel that I have been given the eyes of Jesus sometimes. I often see people in their vulnerable state and I can't help but have compassion on them. I am a softy. I want to hug and encourage my patients. I want to touch their hands and let them know that I CARE. JESUS CARES.
I've also really thought about the idea of people being touched. Working at a nursing home, I see so many residents who don't have family come and visit. I wonder when the last time they had a hug was? So I hug as many people throughout my shift to be sure they're getting some love. And often times... they hold me tight and don't want to let go.
Our culture right now is so hands off. We don't speak to people personally, we use the internet. We 'Chat', email, facebook, tweet, text, etc..... but do we ever get PERSONAL. VULNERABLE. I believe, through my personal experience, not often.
So it has kind of become my personal goal to make people alittle uncomfortable, but in a way that shows I CARE. I care enough to get uncomfortable. I care enough to be 'weird' to others. Because there IS something different about me. I have Christ. I want to share him with everyone I come into contact with.
So how can I use this in Nursing? Well almost anywhere really. I used to think I wanted critical care, and I still might. But it's very intense. I love old people. However, I don't want to work in a nursing home just yet. I'm not into the baby thing. No OB nursing for me. Or Peds... kids and me aren't there yet.
So I'll be praying for my future job. An area where I can hold people. Show them God's love and help make a vulnerable situation better. I know the Lord will use me wherever I go. I'm excited to see who I meet and how He uses the gifts he's given me to shine HIS light.


..."This is what it is to be loved and to know
That the promise was that when everything fell
We'd be held."

No comments:

Post a Comment